Minnesota Black-Owned Businesses and Organizations to Support
We asked YWCA Minneapolis employees to identify their favorite Black-owned businesses and organizations in Minnesota to uplift National Black Business Month. The following is a list we compiled from their recommendations. We encourage readers to keep them thriving in August and all year round.
What is National Black Business Month and why is it important?
Denise Moore, CEO of the Black Business Alliance in Peoria, Illinois, shared the following in an article in National Today: “Black Business Month is exciting because it gives us an opportunity to focus on a community that is far too often underrepresented when it comes to access to capital and opportunities to build wealth.”
National Today says, “When we celebrate the contribution of black business owners and entrepreneurs, it pays homage to them and their legacies, especially since celebrating this month recognizes the importance of black-owned businesses when it comes to contributing to the nation’s economy as well. Approximately 10% of all American businesses are black-owned, and if we look at what statistics say about minority-owned businesses, about 30% of these would belong to black business owners.”
Sources and Resources to Learn More
- The Healing Justice Foundation works for all Black people’s liberation, healing and humanity through restorative healing, mutual aid grantmaking and community action forums.
- Canopy Mental Health Clinic is a values-based, culturally informed practice offering therapy services for historically underserved and marginalized populations in the Twin Cities. Their partner wing, Canopy Roots, offers culturally affirming unarmed first responder services to people in crisis. If you are in Minneapolis, ask for Behavioral Crisis Response or “BCR” when calling 911 to ask for an unarmed response to mental health and other crises.
- Nice Healthcare is a Minnesota-based company providing virtual care and home visits to make healthcare more accessible and affordable.
- Black Immigrant Collective, founded in 2017, works at the intersection of Blackness and immigration, offering legal clinics, mutual aid, storytelling, resource sharing and policy work.
- The Network for the Development of Children of African Descent (NdCAD) is a family education center that began in 1997 seeking to positively impact children and families of African Descent in Minnesota through cultural connections and education.
- Creative Kuponya works at the intersections of justice and mental health to decolonize mental health through therapy, education, speaking and community healing.
- Repair King is a St. Paul-based construction business specializing in storm restoration and providing education and assistance to homeowners.
Food & Drink
- Golden Thyme on Selby is a well-known coffee shop in St. Paul with a musical menu and delicious coffee and tea offerings.
- 2 Scoops Eatery is a family-owned and operated ice cream and hot food eatery serving the St. Paul community.
- Soul Bowl was started by Gerard and Brittney Klass in 2017 to create a customizable, convenient, curated soul food experience featuring a menu with musical influences.
- Love You, Cookie makes gourmet cookies to spread joy and advocate for inclusive mental health services, and was a Top 40 Black Owned Business on TikTok in 2021.
- Selby Wine is one of a few Black-owned liquor stores in the state.
- Tommie’s Pizza is a St. Paul staple serving pizza, wings, salad and drinks.
- Cheesecake Funk has operated since 2003, providing delicious desserts to Minnesotans.
- Redmon’s Popcorn in New Hope, featured in the #ColbertSmallBizBump on the Late Show, is a nostalgic shop selling gourmet popcorn in many unique flavors.
- The Dripping Root is Minnesota’s first Black-owned juice bar, offering fresh pressed juices and treats in an artful space in South Minneapolis.
- Onyx Coffeehouse offers a great place to gather in community, meet, work or study in George Floyd Square.
- 612 Jungle Yoga is a Black woman-owned yoga studio and community offering a variety of classes, styles and training with a steady soundtrack of hip-hop and R&B.
- Element Gym is a people-focused community fitness environment offering boxing, kickboxing, strength, and cardio training.
Books, Cards & Gifts
- Mind’s Eye Comics is a Burnsville shop featuring various comic book titles and genres.
- Lip Esteem offers lipsticks, lip liners and lip glosses in over 25 plant-based, gluten-free and cruelty-free shades that look good on various skin tones and lip profiles – to help people feel beautiful and good “one tube at a time.”
- GiftyWrap offers paper and celebration products representing a wide range of cultures.
- Strive Publishing and Bookstore in Downtown Minneapolis works to uplift Black voices in literature by centering Black culture and story.
- Black Garnet Books sells new and contemporary books by authors and illustrators of color online and in a Saint Paul storefront.
- D. Johnson & Co Greetings creates custom, culturally specific greeting cards and stationery for individuals and businesses.
- Roseline’s Candles offers sustainably made soy candles and gifts online and in a Northeast Minneapolis storefront, as well as classes and business coaching.